the harmony silk factory.



Last night after dinner, I was contemplating on whether or not I should switch the internet on. It was a tempting temptation, since I had nothing else better to do, but for some reason, I abstained and decided to read a story book instead. Just the other day, I grabbed one of the books on my mom’s disheveled book shelve – The Harmony Silk Factory by Tash Aw.

As far as my limited knowledge goes, the author is a local. And having read all the good reviews, my mom, who is a sucker for sentimentality and of course, books in general, decided that it might be a good idea to purchase the book. So, she did.

I honestly thought that she had finished it, but apparently not. She told me that she wasn’t interested in the line of story and the language the author used. It was something which just didn’t catch her attention enough for her to finish it. So much for being “unputdowntable

So, I went out on a quest to prove her wrong. And to be honest, I thought that the book really was unputdowntable. Generally, in the book, there are 3 segments or 3 versions written almost diary/journal-like by the 3 main characters; Johnny, Snow and Peter.

I liked Snow’s version the best. That must have been the hardest part to put the book down because she made me wonder, “what next, what next?”

But as much as I want to know certain things, the book is beginning to lose its appeal, and I’m starting to not want to read it anymore. This huge turn off, I think, is greatly contributed by Peter’s version of the story; of how he wrote unnecessary things, which in my personal opinion has no great bearing/no bearing at all on the story as a whole. Since it was getting draggy and uninteresting with each page I turned, I have decided against finishing the book altogether.

I think that’s quite a shame considering the amount of faith I had in the book, initially.

But if you hate history, but would like to get an insight on the kind of setting our country was in, in the olden days in storytelling form, read it just for fun.

Though I must forewarn you that you might not like it much, once you don’t see the point of the story after a while of reading.

I wonder if anyone who has read it to the last leaf thinks it’s still a good read?

Since I stopped reading the harmony silk factory, I started on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. So far so good. I will write on it later when I finish it.

Comments

me said…
owhh please read the girl with the dragon tattoo and write a review on it. been thinking whether or not to buy it. tapi asyik put on hold la kiv la. in the end tak beli2 pun hehe
Haneesa said…
okay, okay, will do!
my mom keeps telling that it's a good story to the point that she wants to "revisit" it.

so, i'm on the way, ya!

will surely write on it soon :)
Jolie Mendes said…
oh tq for writing on dis book. been months contemplating whether to buy or not. but im the type tak suka oriental stories. hehe
Haneesa said…
haha, seriously, tak perlu lah baca. you're going to go like "huh? apakebenda dia nak cakap ni" like all the time! serious. pastu the storyline macam creepily twisted skit. ntah apa-apa hehe

Popular Posts