define work for me.

Of frustrations with working life.

Since this blog is now on private mode, I think I can write more freely. I have (literally) a handful of readers, all of whom I trust, which is good. Sometimes, it kind of makes me (a little) sad that no one actually really misses this space now that it’s not for public consumption, but I guess that’s kind of normal. After all, we all seek for an audience at some point in our lives, don’t we? Maybe it’s better this way.

Well, anyways. Now that I’ve been working for a year, I guess the problems I face mostly revolve around the topic of work. I know it can be irritating, because work can’t be anything but boring, but we do have our moments. And some of them are better ones, really.

And right now, I’m in “frustrated” mood, much to my own chagrin since it really does consume alot of energy; all this frustration.

Sometimes, I wonder how people measure success and excellence in working life. There are many things which can pass off as work, especially in the Division I work in, but I see that most of the things I’ve been doing tidak disifatkan sebagai excellent. And no, I’m not being paranoid, it really is true. It shows, and it’s also spoken of.

So, what really is work? Are the things I’ve been doing being considered as work?

I define work as the things your bosses or superiors tell you to do from the most serious things such as preparing an opinion to the most menial tasks like photocopying stuff. Work is something which needs to be completed within a certain timeline and things which need to be done, because it just needs to be done or else. Or else numerous phone calls will ensue and lectures which last for hours on end.

Yes, that is work according to my eyes anyway.

For the past month, I have been working very hard. And I am not lying because alot of people can testify. I’ve been going to work at 6.40 a.m. every single day and reach home at 9-10 p.m. EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. I’m lucky I get home the same night even, because there was just too much to do in such a short span of time.

But now that all that has passed, I find myself being in trouble for the work I did. Which confuses me because I think I was diligently working my ass off last month.

And now, I’m in trouble for some of the work I didn’t do while I was concentrating on the other work. And I know you’re damn confused already, because so am I.

The best part is, most of them know. They know that we have not had enough time in our hands. We wish we did, but we don't. Only some privileged ones can make it at 7.30 a.m. and leave 4.30 p.m. on the dot EVERY SINGLE DAY. And still get their work, as in real work, done.

But they still make us do work, which I am beginning to not call work now. Why?

Comments

Popular Posts