mind-made thing.

The common conversation:
You’re a lawyer; you should know.

Oh really? I should? No, really, I don’t have to know. I really don’t have to if I choose not to.



One Malaysia. Malaysian Malaysia. Don’t ask me the difference. Apart from the semantics, they all sound the same to me. They all sound like taglines. Maybe in concept and implementation, there’s a difference, but I’ll bet you that the underlying idea is the same. Nothing vast, nothing out of the ordinary.


Please don’t dub me as illogically ignorant. I’m not that ignorant, really. But I don’t pay heed to things like this. They all say different things which are the same. And they say it all the time. Dengar pon buang boreh je.


It’s so outdated; this whole one Malaysia idea. Really, the ones in the ethnic prisons are the older generation. The younger ones (read: us) have no qualms about mingling with other races. I get upset when people speak of racial tensions. I get upset when people actually use race as a reason to fight. I hate it when people say that we should not make the disparity between the races too great.


Now, let me ask you again, who is widening this rift?


I’ll tell you the composition of my lunch date(s). I either tapau and eat upstairs with Ryan, or Ayu, Shiida, myself, Ryan, Navee, Livyen, Pet, Hadi, (until last month) Yong and sometimes K.Ati will all eat together at the table. We discuss all kinds of things; and believe you me, some are very sensitive. But we are an extremely objective bunch. We know our grievances. And it’s fine because it’s the truth.


And we talk alot about culture. We learn through each other. We know that some of us are Muslims, Sikh, Buddhists and also Catholics. But what’s wrong with hanging out with each other? We are among peers after all.


Ryan eats pork. So, each time we offer him something, he hesitates to share because he is worried that his saliva will transfer to our food, and we’d end up eating pork when we aren’t allowed to. They also know we don’t drink; so they don’t invite us on drinking trips. But we still go out together as a group. There really is nothing wrong at all.


Trust me, there are more people like this than you can imagine. Especially amongst us; the younger generation.


The ethnic prison is a creation of the mind. And the younger the generation, the less of a prison their mind is.
And of course, sometimes, where the person is coming from determines how much of a prison their minds live in.

But it can be changed. Really.

Let’s keep it that way?

Comments

Athena said…
soo true!!!
i'm sick whenever people bring that issues up.
true we have differences, many differences.but we have lots of similarities too. it's a matter of choices, either you want to focus on the differences and fight all the time or you can choose to focus on the similarities and be happy.

I choose to be happy ;p

anyway, bukan ke Allah jadikan manusia itu berbagai-bagai dan berbeza-beza untuk berkenal-kenalan dan bukan untuk bersengketa???
Haneesa said…
sangat betul!
in the end, kite semua pon manusia. it's really tiring all this talk about racial disparity.

so, let's keep us the way we are. after all, there's no reason to fight pon.

:)
abduls said…
i am living in an environment where racism has been embedded in young child mind.

that is why i want to leave this place.


humarrin

Popular Posts