let's be good.

Deaths affect us. They do, don’t they? The fact that one cries or does not cry is not enough of evidence of how much death affects them. It’s enough that one can’t seem to close their eyes shut at night. It’s enough that one thinks daylight as more comforting than nightfall. It’s enough when one sleeps with the lights on at night, when fairy lights were always sufficient before. So, yes, there you have it. This time round, I am badly affected by it. The fact that Arwah was never really close to me is not even an issue. The circumstances are what affect me now. I know I will get over this somehow, but for now, please bear with me. I may space out to remember yesterday. I may talk about it like I don’t want to talk about it. I may even remember it with certain bitterness. Like I said, there are circumstances; ones which I do not want to share.

But one thing for sure, we have to (try hard) to not be angry at our mothers for being protective. We have to (try to) appreciate it as much as possible when she bugs us. She’s all you’ve got at the end of the day. At the end of it all, you’ll see. She’ll take you in even when you’ve broken her heart. She’ll take you in even if you’ve failed to respect her. She’ll take you in. she’s all you’ve got.

She couldn't eat much. She said it felt like dream. She kept on saying she was going to come back on Saturday. She couldn't bathe her because her hands were shaking. She saw them tying her hair in plaits. 3 plaits in her hair. She smiled. She must be imagining another time when things were better. She gave them perfume and talc to make her baby beautiful. She directed them to where they should be put and how. But she wouldn’t touch her. Maybe it hurts to be reminded of how cold her baby has turned. Her 26 year old baby.”

When you leave, she’ll be the one to miss you until her death and beyond. To everyone else, you’re a mere lost. To her, you are her world. No matter how old you are, 14, 24, 34, 44, you’ll remain a baby in her eyes. HER baby.

Al-fatihah.

Comments

Popular Posts