Satu

I can’t seem to decide whether a long weekend is a blessing or a nuisance. I am sleepy. Too sleepy to even string sentences together to make a discernible, logical opinion. Yet, here I am writing my sleep away.

I seldom write about Merdeka. Put it simply, I do not like jumping on the bandwagon when I cannot claim for sure that I know what it means. Because I think we (the younger generation) really don’t get what it really, really means.

To us, it is just another holiday. The type, which, on the eve we celebrate with friends, eating out and watching fireworks as the clock strikes twelve. Believe me; I have stopped doing even that. I’d like to believe that there isn’t anything wrong in celebrating the day the way we do, yet, I think the lot of us are misconceived about the whole Merdeka celebration idea.

We are pretty much, still mentally colonised.

Think of these scenarios.
If I put two cars next to each other, one a Proton, the other, a Honda, and you can afford both. Most of us would probably, obviously choose a Honda, correct? We cannot help it. “Japanese cars are of good quality. Their machines last longer, their bodies are better, not like some recycled aluminium foil.” Yes, we say all these things to justify buying something un-“local”.

Thing is, we cannot help it, can we? I would like to believe that local cars are better, yet I find that they are not. I find that even the people making these national cars don’t have faith in the product they make. It shows in their product. So where’s that national pride again?

So much for being free from the claws of the Japanese, we still are very much colonised, don’t you think so?

And what’s with celebrating in the clubs drinking the night away? Did you notice that those who are proudly flashing their liquor bottles in pictures are Malays? So much for being independent from the British for 52 years, we still practice what they preached, forgetting, always forgetting that being independent means alot more than just not having them around to check on us anymore.

I know some people would say that it wasn’t any better back then, and that during our forefathers’ times, they lead this kind of lifestyle too. But that’s exactly the point I’m making. After 52 years, we are no better than what they are and what they were.

At least they got us our independence. What did we do again?

And did you notice that we always have something bad to say about our local artists? This is especially prevalent amongst those who grew up hearing Queen, ELO, Bee Gees and whatnot. I mean, I grew up listening to them too. What I’m talking about is our parents.

Have you heard the Satu Malaysia song? The collaboration between the DJs? I like it. And I like it alot. I think that despite the lack of extremely strong vocals, they managed to create a song which is catchy and appeals to the society. And they managed to do it even before an official Satu Malaysia song was selected.

Yet, people condemn them for their efforts. So what if it was a feeble attempt? At least there’s an attempt, right? Whether or not it was a failure or success is a different story altogether. No need to compare with “Heal the World”. Bottom line is that the message is a good one.

I don’t know how many of us actually know the history of our Independence. If you’re a history hater like me, the most you would know is probably that historic moment when Tunku raised his hand to shout “Merdeka!” , which others followed suit in unison. Okay, maybe for me, it means a little bit more because I was involved in a little Merdeka play way back in primary school. Other than that, I cannot say for sure that I know much, let alone enough.

Safe to say, that I am still, pretty much colonised. Heck, I use the English language more than BM. And I am guilty as charged when it comes to glorifying all things overseas and not being proud of all things local.

Are you any better?

Comments

Popular Posts