my own.


You know, after having written so many birthday shout-outs and obituaries for others, I thought that this would be something extremely “run-of-the-mill” easy to write. But apparently, being narcissistic isn’t as easy as I thought it to be. But I shall try. After all, I’ve only got 3 more hours until it is somebody else’s day tomorrow.

I noticed that society loves to set milestones, age milestones being one of a few. We always make a big deal of 17, 21 and 25 for many historical and cultural and superstitious reasons of our own. But I don’t follow age milestones. In fact, I’ve set foot on my own path and gone on to enjoy whichever year I think I want to enjoy. And so far, I’ve tremendously enjoyed being 20, 22, 23 and right now, I feel real good about myself although the figure is a big 2-4.


I didn’t do anything special today but I’m extremely happy. I’ve been receiving throngs of messages and phone calls by all means possible and for that I am thankful and very, very grateful (though I know some only remembered because FB told them so, but still!). I honestly, really, really do appreciate the thought you people put into messaging me on my day.


Unlike last year, I didn’t prepare myself a cake or brownies or anything to celebrate. I was too bummed out last night to even think of baking. The closest to a birthday celebration is probably the RM 3.80 lunch I had with my colleague and the scrumptious dinner I had with my family.


I even stayed back at the office today to lend an extra pair of hands because I knew that my boss was a bit under the weather. It feels good to be part of something.


You know, being 24 is great. It really is because I’ve reached that age where I’m realistic about things, where I’m happy to know that I’m happy with what I have right now. So I may have parents who smother me sometimes, but I love them, nonetheless. I don’t know what I’d do or be without them. I have siblings far more matured than I am, but I still am the elder sister and they still are the best people in my life. I have friends who are so splendid, not having them around is unimaginable. I am in a relationship where we have reached a mutual understanding and respect for each other my heart glows at the thought of him.


I am now gainfully employed and mostly financially independent apart from the food on my dinner plate and the roof on my head [and the many benefits which come with that of course ;) ]. And mostly, I am happy. I am grateful for the many things I have. I am mindful of what others are not so fortunate to be deprived of. I am always reflecting and thinking of how things could be better.


And more than anything. I am me. This is me.

So, thank you to all who took the time to remember and write me a small note or give me a quick “I love you” call. I really appreciate your thought.


Now, I can’t wait for my night out with you Kesayangans because I have missed you people so tremendously.


Let’s hope this year’s a good one for all of us, shall we? :)

Comments

Raieza Hanim R said…
oups sorry Kak, I know I'm one of those "some only remembered because FB told them so"

*gulp*

But still, that doesn't mean I didn't meant what I wrote tauuu!

24 is fabulous btw Kak. Just like you =)

ngeeee.
fiqss said…
i rmmbr ur bday! every yr since 2002! cheyh berlagak. hahaha =p

u dont look 24 really, u look younger lah actually (and dis is a compliment!)

glad ure happy with ur life, cos an amazing person like u deserve all the happiness in the world,honest =)

take care sys!!:D
Hanim Hani said…
Kakak, happy birthday again! i remember u birthday bukan pasal fb tau...heheh...mmg ingat punye=)stay precious!!!
Anonymous said…
i remmbr tht bday pic very well... :)
n thnx krn sgt m'hrgai ucapan2 bday wlupn some of it adelh hsl reminder fb (i'm one of them).nevertheless,it comes wth wishes tht u will b happy n young 4ever :)
-sasha-
Haneesa said…
terima kasih semua orang :)
much appreciated

Popular Posts