gift of life.


Oh, so I am a tad too belated where reading this book is concerned, I know. I don’t know how long we’ve had it, but to be honest, it really doesn’t matter because what matters is how much I am affected by it.

To be very honest, about the same time I picked this book off the shelves, I was thinking about something kind of related to the story – of how people became so rich and how they could do anything they wanted with their money, without thinking too much (or at all) about what the financial implications would be.

I am not one of those privileged few who can walk into any shop and pick anything I want without thoroughly considering the “want-need debate” going on in my head. More often than not, I would go home empty-handed because the “needy” part of my brain fails to cook up a convincing enough argument that would make me spend my money on them.

So, anyways, back to the book . I was thinking really hard of how hard people had to work to earn their keep. Of what it took to be at least a millionaire because word has it that once you earn your first million, the other millions would come rolling naturally.

After reading this book, I have come to realise now that nothing in life comes for free. In economics, they call it opportunity cost. In real life, they call it sacrifice. You somehow have to sacrifice some part of you, whether your family or you career (depending on which you choose) and that no matter how clever you are at juggling, in the end, it’s the choices you make that count.

Am I speaking cryptic again? I’m not supposed to because I know that this book has been read by many and there’s no secret about how the book ended. All in all, it was a very good read. Well, I shouldn’t be so surprised because Cecelia Ahern delivers, all the time.

In the end, she mentioned that the most important thing in life is a balance. We’re always running out of time, which according to my brother, does not make sense and we’re always running out of money. In the end, we’re just running and we don’t know where we are going.

I’m surprised how intrigued I am by this book because essentially, it still falls under the “Chic Lit” category and under that category of reads, it’s supposed to leave a much lighter impact than it currently has on me, right?

But I can’t get the picture of that mangled car, the lullabies and the way he lovingly looked at his wife and the way he finally repented, out of my head. I’m just glad he got his second chance before his time was up. And not all of us are lucky enough to be given second chances because that mostly happens in stories, and stories alone.

Today must be one of the craziest days so far. I woke up late with a piercing pain in the right arm. I drove to work hungry and was ready to get my breakfast when I realised that I had left my purse, which is now 40 kilometers away for me to reach. I don’t have any biscuits in my room, they’re all finished. And I fell on all fours in the toilet just now because the floors (and my old slippers) were too slippery, I lost my grip.

If I hadn't finished (or started that book) I could be a really angry girl for what has happened today, for all my carelessness and bad luck, but I chose to feel blessed. Today, there was a mini celebration to welcome Ramadan and we had plenty of free food. My work was approved by my superior and even after that fall, I am still okay with no cuts and bruises.Just a few painful spots, but all is well.

I got my second chance today. A gift. I am blessed and grateful for that.


NOTAKAKI:
If you’re a busy girl or guy whose BB is constantly beeping or whose life revolves around work and work and more work, there really is more to life than work. We can always look for lost money, but time and tide waits for no man. Lost time can never be replaced.

A totally recommended read.

Shy to comment? Well, never mind! Your reactions mean the world to me! Make me smile today :)

Comments

Popular Posts