I’m stressed out about one pimple because it’s been a while since I had a break out. I think I’m high on coffee and that I am overly dependent on it, so I thought of looking up the adverse effects of coffee on the internet.

There have been many studies over the years dealing with caffeine and human health. These studies have looked at the potential adverse effects of caffeine in such areas as:

  • general toxicity (e.g., muscle tremors, nausea, irritability);

I become irritated in the morning if I don’t get my coffee because I wouldn’t be able to concentrate in Warren’s class without it.

No nausea, except when I have a temperature and when I’m recovering from fever.

  • cardiovascular effects (e.g., heart rate, cholesterol, blood pressure);

I just went for a check-up and the doctor told me that my blood pressure is normal (shocking!) because I have a history of blacking out at times.

  • effects on calcium balance and bone health (e.g., bone density, risk of fractures);

I get cramps once in a while because of lack milk and when I walk too much non-stop.

  • behavioural effects in both adults and children (e.g., anxiety, mood changes, attentiveness);

Hmm. I have mood swings with or without Nescafe. Not applicable.

  • potential links to cancer; and

Erm? Touchwood.

  • effects on reproduction (e.g., male and female fertility, birth weight)

I don’t know. I don’t have children yet. But my menstrual cycles are very, very consistent. So, I really am not worried.

Quit caffeine? No, never perhaps. Not even when caffeine has forced itself on my shirt causing me to have to wear my sleeveless in class (with my jacket on top, of course). And all this when Datuk Zaid Ibrahim is coming in like ½ hour? Haish.

Comments

Popular Posts