going in for the kill.


Penang, as far as food is concerned, has always been synonymous to Nasi Kandar.

Most Penangites I know refuse to eat Nasi Kandar sold anywhere other than Penang. I always thought this to be an extreme case of “patriotism” and when my husband said the same when he moved to KL, I just thought him to be extremely mengada.

That was of course, until we went in for the kill.

Having researched places of interest (food places) before the trip (OCD much, I know), I found that Penangites didn’t eat at Line Clear and recommended Nasi Kandar Beratur (pronounced Beratoq!) instead. Nobody could find fault in Nasi Kandar Beratur. From the reviews, it seems like the food was freshly prepared and it was so fresh that the packets of Nasi Kandar couriered to Singapore would still be warm by the time it was received by the recipients! I don’t know how far the truth has been stretched on that point, but in a nutshell, it was really, really good it seems.

Naturally, I harped my husband about it. But since I don’t eat anything after 9 p.m. on most days, and Nasi Kandar Beratur shop only opens at 10 p.m. and that particular night, it was raining, I thought I’d give it a miss. But Mr. Husband had other ideas.

He parked the car by the roadside and told me to wait. The best thing about it being a rainy night is that there was hardly a queue. 5 people later, my husband gleefully came back to the car with this package.


Imagine the size of my eyes at that point in time. I was literally speechless. Didn’t know whether I should thank him or kill him! He was about to contribute the kilos I so didn’t want to put on anymore! But as the smell wafted in the car, I decided I’d wait before I killed him.


We reached the room and I unpacked the coveted package. More of that yummy smell. I tasted a bit first. Malu-malu kucing. And then, I ate some more and more and more. And the next thing I know, I was licking the rice off my fingers and licking the gravy off the packet, trying to see if there was anything left.

It was really, really good! I kid you not!

It’s really no wonder now why Penangites hardly eat Nasi Kandar other than in Penang, unless totally and completely desperate. If this is the standard of Nasi Kandar set by their state, it doesn’t come as a surprise to me anymore.

SO DAMN GOOD CAN DIE!

Of course, my husband’s life was spared that night.

I do hope he didn’t mind the smiling, snoring wife sleeping beside him that night.

How could I not smile (and snore) after all that scrumptious food, right? ;)


Shy to comment? Well, never mind! Your reactions mean the world to me! Make me smile today :)

Comments

Popular Posts