home is where the heart is.


As a kid, I used to be so ashamed of my mom for certain reasons.

It's like this. When we went to eat out, she would bring food from home. Okay, so maybe it's not heavy food that she brings. Most of the time, it's tidbits like the honey roasted almond she made or sambal ikan bilis garing or rempeyek. I know, right? Like, WHATTT? Why do you bring food from home when the whole point of eating out was to eat food made outside of home???

Then, I started living on my own.I started cooking for my own household. I started traveling more.

And each time we traveled, I would bring along food FROM HOME  (my kids will so hate me for this, I already know), like Rocky, mineral water, cookies and the most recent must be the most epic - roti Gardenia, Nutella and NASI GORENG. And we weren't going for a picnic, mind you. We were about to stay at Glory Beach Resort, which promised about 6 free meals per day. But that didn't stop me from bringing food from home.

I then realised that... Home is where the heart is.

After staying there for just one night, I became all homesick. I tweeted twice about how Glory Beach isn't so glorious after all and the moment my husband suggested that we go home on Saturday night after all events were done, I packed our bags and put them at the front door.

I was so glad to wake up in my own bed this morning.

To celebrate being home, I had a ball in the kitchen throughout the day. It was great that I had so many things that I missed and wanted to eat and one of them is Cucur Manis.

There is no stopping me when I want to eat something, I tell you. But I had to make sure that my husband was a willing "rat lab" to my new-found recipes. When he (reluctantly) agreed to eat the Cucur Manis if I made them, I got myself to work.

I ROCKED IT(!!!)
(It's the first time I made this from scratch, please pardon my excitement)

It's really, really easy to make.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup tepung gandum
1/4 cup self-raising floor
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup of susu pekat manis (2 spoons of susu pekat mixed with water until it becomes half cup)
1/2 tin of jagung krim (any brand will do but I used Yeo's)

How to make:
Put flour and sugar in mixing bowl.
Add all wet ingredients.
Stir with spatula.
Note: The batter is runny. Don't go and add more flour or anything alright? It's meant to be that way.
Heat pan.
Put in some oil (but not so much like you are deep frying)
Put in blobs of batter in hot oil with medium sized spoon.
If the batter leaves the pan or is golden, means it's ready to be turned.
Serve hot with hot tea.

Hot tea mesti pandai buat sendiri kan?

So, happy trying! Home really is where the heart is. I am so glad we have a home over our heads :)


And here's another something that will make you drool. Saje dengki. Heh.


Shy to comment? Well, never mind! Your reactions mean the world to me! Make me smile today :)

Comments

Popular Posts