an empty house.

I just got back to the office yesterday after a whole week of attending a Course last week. The Course was interesting albeit a tad too technical for me and of course, it was good to get a break from the office. Everyone needs that once in a while.

Now that I’m back, I’m bogged down with whatever that is pending from before I left, which is not a lot, but technical. So, that complicates matters a whole lot. I am trying not to use the “technical” excuse as a reason for the pace of my work and I am determined. Very determined to understand everything that I did not and thought I could never understand.

All this because I met one of Abdul’s friends for dinner last weekend. I consider him very successful for his age. Well, not to my surprise, since he is driven, hardworking and very determined; qualities which I am lacking day after day after day. And that, according to him, is nothing, if compared to his good friends who are CEOs of their own companies, etc. And all this at the wee age of 34. Amazing.

How did they get to become so rich at such a young age?

I actually asked that question outright. And his secrets aren’t secrets at all, apparently. According to him, his secret to success is practicing what he did when he was studying. He brought his manuals home, took out a notebook, jotted down everything he didn’t understand and asked questions – one more quality lacking in people, generally. Nobody really asks that many questions anymore nowadays, right? Everyone’s afraid of being labeled stupid, but not him. No sirree.

I told him that I didn’t have that much time to do what I did when I was studying and guess what his advice was? He told me to “invest” some time in my work. Come to think of it, that was something which I did back then (when studying) without anyone having to tell me. I have stopped “investing” my time in my work too much. I still try as much as possible, of course. But with crazy deadlines and everything else “in-between” which distracts me from doing a good job, I think it’s been such a long time since I felt really, really proud (or really, really sure) about what I am doing.

I came into the office yesterday, feeling ashamed of myself – and of course, more than determined to ensure I instill my pride back into my work, though I knew very well that my efforts won’t exactly be something people would shout out about.

And for the most part of yesterday, it worked. That positive attitude worked.

That’s of course until another “in-between” came to disturb me and I lost my momentum. So, here I am again – still trying very hard not to allow distractions to distract me. But come to think of it, they are called distractions.

I’ve just got to face the fact that this life ain’t perfect. No, it isn’t.

Because even Abdul’s friend is not perfect. Even with that kind of money, he still goes home to an empty house. Though it might be by choice, is that the kind of life I really want? No. I’d rather have a home than a house.

Life goes on. Oh, well, it always does.






Shy to comment? Well, never mind! Your reactions mean the world to me! Make me smile today :)

Comments

Athena said…
awak, thanks for this entry! and to this friend of yours for his wise advice.

I agree with him - perhaps one of the reason why I didn;t have pride in my work before is I did not 'invest' enough effort in my work.

Bila fikir semula kan, time study [undergrad and post grad], I always keep complete set of stationary of my own - highlighters, pen, tag etc. macam2 colour satu pencil case besar! and I always carry it everywhere, siap dgn notebook and small planner. plan apa nak study, apa nak baca, which points i need more clarification. siap tulis lagi buku and prominence authors or leading academician for that subject, for reference.
though benda tu tak masuk exam, i masih rajin nak baca out of curiosity, sebab nak tahu! I won't feel 'safe' sleeping at night selagi I could not draw the bigger picture of everything I have read!

bila compare pulak masa time kerja dulu, setakat pen kaler hitam sebatang dalam handbag, note pad pun tak bawak. official planner ada, tapi jolt down meetigns, deadline, and bila nak amik cuti!!!! bila 'study', I cuma study materials cukup2 untuk siapkan opinion and nothing else. I lost the drive to dig for more, to learn more, to comprehend more!

I think, we lost the drive the moment we stop being and behaving like a 'student'!!

THANKS A LOT awak!!!!
Athena said…
oh, i teringat something. Pn. Azian pernah bagitau i, our datuk idrus, the SG, he keeps a notebook, macam diary lama, where he jolt down every points/legal principle that he learnt. pernah sekali tu he was discussing something with her, then he took out and refer to that personal note of his. a very old book, yet contains lots of information. siap dengan reference lagi mana dia jumpa info tu.

so yeah, maybe itu his investment for his job kot? ;)
Haneesa said…
ayu: betul tu! we are learning everyday, but we've stopped being students. somehow, being a student changes the whole scenario, affecting our attitude kan?

about Datuk SG tu, it's really no wonder why he is so efficient and clever. mmg hats off to him sangat sangat.

he clearly manages his time well and invests in his work for his own satisfaction.

how we wish we are like that, no?

Popular Posts