shoot from the hip

I tend to lose inspiration pretty quickly. Mostly, it’s because I get inferiority complex each time I see a marvelous piece of work, even from amateur photographers. In the photography world, it’s easy to feel small even though you aren’t broadcasting your work to the public at large. And especially so when you have zilch knowledge about editing.

Once, I blogged about selling Theodore off. That wasn’t the first time I thought of doing it. And because it is precious to me (and known to many of those who know me), my plans to put Theodore on sale was met with much objection. So to date, I have failed to put it up for sale. Theodore is one of the most precious things I have ever acquired in my life. And I guess there will always be that emotional attachment to it.

I don’t think I will ever sell it. But perhaps, when I get richer, I will get the semi-DSLR of my dreams. One good day.

Anyways. Back to inspiration. And of being inspired.

These days, things have changed. Oh wait, I have changed.

I care too much about what people think. I care too much about the technicalities which surround the photo. The aperture, shutter speed, white balance and the likes, which is not entirely bad, but terrible if over thought. Mostly, I care too much about whether or not that a particular photo or shot is perfect. Truth is, can there ever be a perfect shot?

At times like these, I like to remember what a friend used to tell me. He always told me that I should always shoot from the hip. Always. Because those shots always come out... ironically, “perfect”. It’s when you’re pressed for time and equipment that your creative juices work its wonders.And photography tends to just come naturally.

And so, since I have not picked up Theodore in a long, long time, I decided I’d give the “shoot from the hip” exercise a try. I owed Theodore at least that much, I know.

And trust me, out of 10 shots of a particular object that I shoot, it’s always the first shot that I finally like the most. Thank God for digital negatives, I don't have to worry about wastage.

So, I guess it’s true that we should shoot from the hip more often. And sometimes, it's when you literally shoot from the hip that the photo turns out good. I guess I just need to get my confidence back and get myself inspired instead of hampered by the creative people I stalk.



Mine's not much to shout out about, I know. But I just want to make sure that Theodore doesn't have to sit idly by a corner collecting dust.

Hopefully, when the little one comes, I'll be a camera-obsessed mom who's obsessed about her kid.


Shy to comment? Well, never mind! Your reactions mean the world to me! Make me smile today :)

Comments

Popular Posts