September 10, 2012

lawak ke der

1 April 2012 

I accompanied my sister to UKM for a pre-medic talk held at the Club House.

After we got the venue wrong the first time etc. and finally entered the right hall, I felt my tummy throbbing. It was uncomfortable, but bearable all the same.

After the talk, we had some lunch at Chan Abdullah in Bangi. The food to me was so-so. But I’m glad I got to taste it anyways.

That night, when my parents came over to my place to pick my sister up, my dad told me I looked slim. My mom said “Girl dah kecut”. I jokingly said I’ll be calling them with their cucu tomorrow.


That night we went to Amed and Mamin’s place. Had some teh tarikh and ice cream. Played with the ever adorable Jamie. And watched Lawak Ke Der for the umpteenth time. It was super funny. I was laughing really hard. And my tummy was throbbing. Every time it throbbed, I tried to wipe that painful expression off my face. To no avail. Every few minutes, my husband asked me whether I was okay. Told him not to worry. Convinced him that I had a high pain threshold.

2 April 2012

We reached home at 1.30 a.m. *gasp you tak sedar diri (then) 9 months pregnant lady what we you thinking?* After I washed up and prayed, I lay motionless on the bed. Tummy throbbing. Told my husband I couldn’t sleep. “Must’ve been Mamin’s yummy teh tarikh”, I thought. Kesian, tak pasal-pasal kena tuduh. Went to the loo several times. All I felt like doing was peeing. And eventually, I felt like doing number 2 too.

After 9 months being spared of period pain, I totally forgot what it felt like. But after so many trips to the loo, I was most definitely reminded. Then, came the show. Went back to bed and told my husband to Google, “what to do if there is a show?” padahal dah baca beribu kali at BabyCentre.

After some research, we decided it was okay for me to not go to the hospital yet. After all, it was just about 10 minutes away.

So, I tried to get some sleep. And that’s when my sleepless journey began. Sometimes, I woke up while on my side, sometimes I was on my back, but most of the time, I was menonggeng. At that point, my contractions were an hour apart from each other (though at that point I didn’t even know that those were contractions). 

Woke up and obviously didn’t go to work. Instead I pottered around the house doing nothing. All I could stomach were Kurma Nabi and air zamzam. My husband insisted that I had some milo and bread, which I did. Got some sleep from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Woke up feeling funny. Took a bath and decided, “It’s time.” Luqman was moving lesser than normal when I took my bath.

So, off to Putrajaya Hospital we went. Waited in line to be checked. And later I was strapped to the CTG and contraction monitoring machine. I wanted to ask so many questions but I was secretly hoping it wasn’t time yet. Not because of anything, but I really wanted to eat Roti Boom at Mamak Kembar. Eventually, I asked out of boredom, “How am I doing?”

“Contraction Puan 1 in every 10 minutes. Tapi mild.” 
Oh, that throb those were contractions. Only after they told me did I realise that I did feel some pain every 10 minutes or so. At about 5 p.m., a doctor came in to do VE.

“Puan, maaf ye. Saya nak buat VE dan ia kurang selesa.”

“Okay.” (not that I had a choice haha)

“Puan, puan dah 3 cm.”

“Ha, okay. Boleh keluar kejap tak?”

“Tak boleh puan. Puan kena admit dah.”

So, I was wheeled in to the Labour Room. Well, not really wheeled in lah. I walked in like a gangster, tak sedar diri dah nak beranak sangat. Told them to notify my husband. Again, in the Labour Room, before I was strapped to the machines, I asked if I could eat. Obviously, I was told I couldn’t. “Takut kena buat emergency C-Sect.” Alaa.

So I just lay there on the bed, reciting Surah Maryam while my husband zikir. The pain ebbed in and out but my contractions were getting stronger. Eventually, my ObyGyn came in to check on me. He told me he was going to do a VE. Told me it’s not supposed to be painful or uncomfortable. His trick? Simple. He’ll tell you to breath in when the VE is being conducted. So, I did. And it wasn’t painful AT ALL. No wonder dia doctor pakar.

I was already 5 cm dilated. It was around Maghrib.

He broke my water bag to speed things up. 

THAT’S when the real pain began. To me, my contractions were like an extension of really bad senggugut. But after my water bag was broken… *speechless*. It’s like a gush of warm water pouring out of you. Only, it wasn’t just water. It was sticky and obviously reeked of blood. Ha macam tu lah. 

A lot of the things which happened after that was a blur to me.

The next thing I know, the pain was going from bad to worse. The kind I couldn’t stand. And I have a very high pain threshold, so yes. The pain was bad. Told my husband to get my ObyGyn. But he was delivering another baby! Boleh tak at the same time, 3 of his patients (including myself!) nak deliver? Gahh. Another doctor came in to check on me. She did a VE. I was 8 cm dilated. And she looked surprised. She said that Dr. Hazim kata pukul 10.30 nanti baru check tapi puan dah almost fully dilated dah ni. It was only about 9 p.m.

Soon, I saw a machine being wheeled in. Took a sneak peak and it was Entonox. Husband and I worked out a system. I didn’t have the energy to talk anymore, so I had to signal to him whenever I needed help. I would hit my pillow. He would put the mask on me. I would doze off. And this would go on for what seemed an eternity.

FINALLY, my ObyGyn came. Certified that I was ready to deliver. Baby  was crowning.

I don’t know if I peed or pooped or screamed (it sure did feel like it) but oh, I couldn’t care less because the pain, oh the pain was excruciating!

About 5 pushes later, my dearest baby Luqman was born into the world at 9.33 p.m.

What a relief! Alhamdulillah! 

"Senang beranak awak ni. Tahun depan jumpa saya lagi la kot?" says my ObyGyn.


Shy to comment? Well, never mind! Your reactions mean the world to me! Make me smile today :)

No comments: