even in Ramadan.

I always try to improve come each Ramadan.

And this year, I vowed to myself that I wouldn’t use Ramadan as an excuse not to do my work properly. Just because I am fasting, does not mean I am disabled. So, I brave through every sleepy moment, motivating myself with notions that my work is ibadah too. This is as a result of seeing even the best of workers being totally “disabled” last year during Ramadan. I vowed I would never be like that.

But, you would be surprised to know how selfish some people can get. Even in Ramadan, no less.

There are times when I feel like crying when I get a piece of work because I can already foresee how late I will be going home because of it.

So, as much as I don’t want to use Ramadan as an excuse for not concentrating on my job, I do think that Ramadan alone is enough of a reason to just let people "go" at an "appropriate" time.

And appropriate time being a time which will give the person enough time to go home, prepare for iftaar, get all fresh and cleaned up, maybe some time for spiritual enlightenment, and have a decent, comfortable iftaar with family and loved ones.

Appropriate time most definitely does not mean letting the person break fast for a while and continue working again. Thankfully this hasn’t happened (yet).

Sometimes, it really is difficult to understand, isn’t it? This month comes only once in a year. Just once. And yet...

I hate it when I miss my tarawikh. But I get so beat each time I get home from work. It’s not enough of an excuse to warrant my missing it, I know. But yes, that’s the truth. The moment I lounge on the bed, the next thing I know, it’s already tomorrow morning.

The harder truth to swallow is the fact that our moral grounds have shifted, so much so that such a special month is no longer treated like it is special. Work is work. And whatever or however you want to celebrate victory for being able to fast until the end of the day (if you even have the time to) is none of anyone’s business. Work is work.

Granted, this comes with growing up, with working. But we might not make it for next year so we might as well make the best out of what we have now, right?

Just some food for thought.

Happy 3rd day of Ramadan. May we all get home at “appropriate times”, at least this time of the year.







Shy to comment? Well, never mind! Your reactions mean the world to me! Make me smile today :)

Comments

Popular Posts