unexpectedly good.

For as long as I can remember, I have never liked oats. Be it hot, cold, savoury, sweet, in a drink or in porridge; I just don't like oats. The ONLY form of oats that I DO like are those in cookies and in there, I'm not too sure how much nutrition is retained. 

So, when overnight oats took the world by storm... I didn't think much about it. However, it is hard to ignore when your Pinterest feed is full of them and each time you go on Google and key in the words....... O V E R, "overnight oats" are among the first few links on the list. 

Of course, I clicked on those links to see what the hu-ha is all about, especially now that I am on a quest to lead a healthier lifestyle. 

And after much deliberation, I decided to jump on the bandwagon. 

xxx

Before that though... although all the recipes call for the oats to be stored overnight in airtight containers... all I saw were pretty oats in pretty MASON JARS, which to be honest... is probably the only reason I didn't make the overnight oats any earlier than last night. 

Last night though... despite the absence of mason jars, I went on with my plan. I just had to make them to see what the hype is all about. 

Every time I trolled the internet for recipes, I saw that the key to making good overnight oats is the ratio of oat to liquid, which should always be 1:1. 

Since this is the first time I made them, I decided to try small portions first, just in case I hate them. 

result (colour) may vary, depending on lighting and filter used on your photo editor ;)

ingredients:

So, 1 portion of oats (mine is about 3 tbspns quickcook oats);
1 portion of liquid (mine is full cream milk)
2 tablespoons of sweetener (mine is Hershey's Chocolate Syrup);
1/2 a banana.

method:

The next best thing to a mason jar that I have is a Thermos container, specially made for cold food.
I put the oats in first.
Then the milk.
Then the Chocolate Syrup.
And then I put the lid on my container and shook it a bit. 
I then put the sliced banana onto the whole mix.
Put the lid on.
And put everything into the fridge.

I couldn't stop thinking about it last night! 

This morning, I reached the office, unpacked my coveted breakfast, put a few spoonfuls into my mouth... 

 And my verdict is?

I TOTALLY GET WHY YOU PEOPLE LOVE CHILLED OVERNIGHT OATS SO MUCH! It's no longer a mystery to me!

Sure, my oats aren't in a pretty mason jar. Sure they look all slimy and gooey (as they should, because when you shake your oat, milk and sweetener mixture, you'd discover that there is no way you can make these babies without all the slop), I would have liked it better if it had some crunch, so I might just go out and get myself rolled oats or steel cut oats and I wish my banana was riper... BUT they are healthy and nutritious AND they make breakfast so appealing. I have another jar in the fridge and I ain't sharing.

*googling more recipes*

[p.s.: total calories for this is - 259, the most coming from the chocolate syrup, which is 100 calories for 2 tablespoons *gasps!*]


Comments

Popular Posts