Pandai.



 Breathe in, breathe out.

Just recently, I discovered something that perturbed me slightly. Okay, who am I kidding, I was extremely perturbed by it that I discussed the matter to great lengths with my husband.

The matter in question is – pandai kerja or pandai belajar; which is more important in the workforce?

These days, competition is tough, wherever you work. You won’t believe me if I tell you how stiff the competition is in the Public Sector, but yes. It’s tough. While the general consensus is that Public Servants work for monetary and job security only, regardless of whether they actually do a good job, there’s a sector of the Public Service which actually works their butts off because they have a sense of responsibility to the people and because they want actual job satisfaction.

That sector isn’t very big and that, by right, should make it easier to compete, but no. When there are so few good people, you’ve really got to stand out. Sometimes, it even feels like you’re being penalized for being good.

Thing is, what makes you stand out as a “seasoned worker”? Your paper qualification or your work performance?

While I concede to the fact that education is important, I’ve also found out the hard way how your paper qualifications don’t really matter that much in the workforce, especially when it comes to dealing with people at work.  Experience counts, even if I sometimes feel like age doesn’t really determine your level of wisdom, tact and sometimes, even knowledge. At the end of the day, what matters most is your attitude. At least in my opinion.

Anyhow, while I was still single, my parents did bug me about continuing my studies. Strike the rod while it’s still hot, they said – meaning that I should continue while I was still in my studying mode. Thing is, back then, I was so tired from my undergrad days that I just didn’t feel like studying. In fact, there are times when I still feel a tad bit tired and can’t quite find the drive or urge to continue studying. So, here I am, with my Second Upper Honours Degree.

And here I’m up against my own peers and my subordinates, who might have better paper qualifications than me.

I’ve already obtained some sort of recognition for the “pandai kerja” part of my life and I continue to strive for job satisfaction. I know in time it’s not going to be enough and of course, I’ve got some plans in my head about my own future.

But for now, I do think that they’ve got to make it crystal clear which is more important; pandai kerja or pandai belajar – because I really don’t want to be on the losing end when I bury my head in my pile of work to make sure I gain rezeki yang halal while others are using up the very same resources for their own personal gain.

And seriously, I really do think that my hard work should count for something. Seriously.


Comments

yayahafiza said…
kakak dear, i knew that sometimes this situation can drag us into demotivation but i always think that rezeki comes in different way and rezeki is not limited to money.... after refreshing back what had happened to me last weekend when my car breakdown (although it is just a battery failure), it is kind of 'wake up' call to me for always be thankful for Allah's gift and blessing.... maybe we should go for coffee anytime when u are free :)
it's ok kakak, we do our work for us to gain rezeki yang halal.... what i always keep in my mind is keberkatan Allah itu penting and he'll grant us what we never expect... insyaAllah
Haneesa said…
oh, yes. i do believe that rezeki does not only come in the form of money. thanks for the reminder dear :) haritu i was telling my mom how i feel, she told me it was good that i was aware of my surroundings and that i want to find out what can make me a better person and better worker. but she also told me to count my blessings and look at the child and family Allah has blessed me with. katanya being a mother ni is a recognition that nobody can give except for Allah, so i better raise my family well. bila cakap mcamtu memang i put my thoughts in perspective betul :)

hopefully we'll continue to remind each other and i wish we had the time to do it over coffee rather than my blog and our whatsapp conversations kan.

you take care okay :)

Popular Posts