outright discrimination.

Tonight is the battle of 3 reading materials; Interlock, A Doctor in the House or N S Bindra's Interpretation of Statutes. It's a no-brainer why Bindra lost. But it's also amazing why none of the other 2 options got chosen. I ended up reading AMICA.

Yes, this.


As you might already know, I'm not really into fashion. Well, even if I am, it's hard to say whether I qualify to declare as such. Why? Well, take one glance at me and your curiousities are answered, that I'm sure of.

But be that as it may, the model on the cover of AMICA really just caught my eye. I wondered how she could look so stunningly demure... while NOT being exposed at parts where models are normally exposed to catch one's attention. Somehow, it amazed me. Really amazed me.

Reading on, I came across the name Adlina Anis (that's the stylist for AMICA, at least then) so many times that it sparked my curiousity. For one, it is an AMICA Singapore magazine. And let's face it - let's be open about things here- it's quite an open secret that Malays in Singapore are marginalised. Or at least, that's what I've been told time and time again. So it somehow didn't make that much sense to me that some Malay girl could land herself in the fashion industry there amongst others who are... well... not Malays.

As I read through the magazine (from the back cover to the front, weird, I know!), I found the AMICA Feature somewhere in the middle. And it featured none other than Adlina Anis, the name which consistently appeared throughout the magazine. And that 2-page spread was short, sweet, concise and honest. Quite inspiring, if you asked me.


I guess these days, with the right guidance, attitude and support, anyone can make it in any field. Of course, some industries require more perseverance than the rest, like the Fashion Industry, for instance, but this lady is living proof that it can be done.

That said, I am reminded at what happened to my sister earlier this year. I tried to print screen her FB page, but couldn't but, this is how the day went for her on that fateful day -

mira salehin going job hunting! and this is what happened;


me: is there any job vacancy?
person 1: yes, hold on. *Shouts some other person's name
person 2: yes, we have vacancies. But we don't hire people with tudung . What about you*looks at my friend* ? you can apply :D
me and friend: NO THANK YOU.
EXIT.


Apa punya kedai ni? -.-

Just in case you are wondering, that kedai was Elle.

And my sister is like an unpaid walking advertisement for Elle as she's got so many pieces from there. And eventhough she just recently decided to don the hijab, she has still managed to style her old clothes (Elle included) so that she remains decent!

I think that it was Elle's loss, rather than my sister's.

After that incident, I do think that the Fashion Industry favouring skinny girls over big-sized ones is merely being shallow, not discriminatory. This thing that happened to my sister - that's discrimination. Outright discrimination. Try telling me otherwise. 

And surprise, surprise, this happened in Malaysia, shame on us. So much for all that racial tolerance we pride ourselves with.


Shy to comment? Well, never mind! Your reactions mean the world to me! Make me smile today :)

Comments

I totally agree. That was just an outright discrimation. It's such a sad sight, no?

I wonder when these things will finally come to an end at our homeland?

I like what Adlina Anis said. What you wear doesn't dictate your ability. I have had a few gory experiences being interrogated just because I don hijab in the US. But when I explained and showed them my capability (not tring to say I am intelligent or what but you get the feel), they started to respect me, Alhamdulillah..
Haneesa said…
seems like both hijab-wearing and non-hijab-wearing girls have problems these days.

the extremists condemn people who don't wear the hijab by making us feel like complete devils. and those who are are wearing hijab are seen as less capable than those who don't.

just like you, i do really wonder if this discrimination would be put to a stop, or if it could EVER be put to a stop, actually.

Popular Posts