dumping.

So many heart-wrenching stories in the news nowadays. 

I remember my project when I was in my first year in Law School and it was about Baby Dumping. Everyone thought the name was funny and honestly, I thought that it was too. I mean, Baby Dumping sounds like a type of food, don't you think so?


But jokes aside, that problem is definitely not a laughing matter. No, it isn't.


In my project paper, I remember posing questions as to who should be blamed for the Baby Dumping Problem. Are the parents to be blamed? Are schools to be blamed? Is the society not understanding enough? Or is the lack of self-control the root of all evil?


Of course, for project papers like that, it wasn't necessary for me to identify where the problem really lies in. I could ask as many rhetorical questions as I pleased because it was all very academic to begin with.


But faced with this real (and escalating) problem is not academic, I have come to realise that. It is a problem which is in dire need of solution and yet, we are not solving the problem. I have come to realise that the problem does not lie with people per se. Having stable family backgrounds doesn't determine how you will turn out as a person. Having mountains of self-control doesn't mean that you are spared from the harsh world out there, which we call our society.


We have tried putting forward solutions.


Half-way houses have been set up for people to "deposit" (to put it loosely) their "unwanted" children, for others who actually want them to take home. There are so many people out there whose lives would be made different with those lovely, innocent bundles of joy placed in their arms. Even if those darlings are not their own.


People are talking about sex education and the inculcation of moral values from an early age, but will the children benefit from any of this if our education system remains the same exam-oriented system? The education on sex and morals would remain but a subject in their certs.


I hate to admit it, but the problem is still an unsolvable problem. Some quarters have obviously tried to eliminate problems of baby dumping by creating channels for better "disposal" of babies and educating the society and trying to get the society to understand each other better. But clearly, it's not helping that much.


I don't have statistics to actually prove that the problem has increased. But aren't newspaper reports enough to show how much of a niggling problem it still is? Can we ever solve this problem? What would happen to our children and children's children?


The rhetorical questions have begun again and it won't stop.

We don't have any answers.
I think it's time we be worried.






Shy to comment? Well, never mind! Your reactions mean the world to me! Make me smile today :)

Comments

Popular Posts