did you know?

Did you know that-
Typing mistakes spiked 74% and output plummeted by 46% when office temparatures fell from 25 degrees Celcius to 20 degrees Celcius?

If I had a thermometer now, I'm sure it would display a temperature of less than 20 degrees celcius, definitely. But so far, so good. I wouldn't want to blame the air-conditioning for my unproductiveness (if any).

*****
Well, anyways, here's a tip for those who are about to embark into the working world (even for attachments or industrial trainings), or those who are still trying to adapt to working life (like me):

More often than not, it's how you make them feel that makes them remember. 

Back in Law School I always thought that being all clever and outspoken was all that. I remember how I would just express my thoughts as and when I pleased, as and how I liked to do it. Of course, even back then, I knew that there are limits to the amount of bluntness my recepients can take but still, I said what I needed to say. But now, the need to make people feel good is emphasised to a maximum.

It's not always about what's in your brain that matters. In fact, it might not matter one bit how smart you are if you fail to make your superiors/colleagues feel good.

 Somehow, some part of me still disagrees with the fact that making people feel good is the most important thing, besides being hardworking and smart. But, deep down, I have to admit that the cruel reality of the world is exactly like that.


And mind you, I'm not even talking about ass-kissing your superiors. No sirree. This kind of "making people feel good" has nothing to do with that. It's the kind which needs loads of perfect practice, patience and tact.

In my early working days, I found it difficult to respond to someone's nonsensical comment/statement without being brutally honest about what I thought.

Obviously, it cost me.

But as time passed, I learnt to (at least) keep my face straight, if I couldn't find something tactful to say or something light to joke about when someone said something stupid/disrespectful/tactless/demotivating to me. It has taken me almost 2 years and it's an art yet to be perfected.

But I'm getting there.

This, in some ways relate to the book I once read, which I used for my book review.

The book is called:  
The Power of  Positive No; How to Say No, and Still Get a Yes.

Basically, the book talks about 3 main processes.
  • ensure that we uncover our Yes;
  • empower our No; and
  • also respect our way to Yes

In gist, the book tells us to avoid saying No at the cost of our relationship with others. It tells us to avoid saying No in an angry and agitated tone. It tells us that we should say No and not say Yes just to please others. Hence, the 3 main processes as mentioned above.

I wouldn't bore you with the details of the book because I know that not everyone digs motivational books. I don't really do so myself but with diagrams and everything, this book was a worthy and easy read :)

All I can say now is that I've learnt how to disagree with other people in a more tactful way. I have learnt to be honest about my concerns without being whiny. And in times of anger, I would "go the the balcony". The imaginery "thinking spot" in my already crammed head so that I get my head straight.

Remember, one moment of anger can cause a lifetime of regret.


Make people feel good about themselves, not at the expense of your sanity and integrity and you'll be fine.


But this doesn't in any way mean that I will stop ranting about work, of course. You watch and see.


Just thought of sharing ;)





Shy to comment? Well, never mind! Your reactions mean the world to me! Make me smile today :)

Comments

Popular Posts