Aunt Agony

Someone told me how disappointed he was that he didn’t get what he wanted. Someone told me how heartbroken she was now that she had broken up with her boyfriend. Another guy told me that his work was had to be put on halt because of the strong sea current. And another guy told me that he had to make the most important and controversial and confusing decision in his life and that now people are isolating him because of the decision he had to make.

And I am blessed with an addition to my joy; the offer letter for entry into the Honours Programme.

I don’t really like being Aunt Agony, honest. I remember complaining to someone once that I felt like a punching bag; like the only reason anyone ever came up to me was to tell me a thing or two about their sob story. And the moment they’re happy, they don’t remember me anymore.

I think some part of this is true, you know. It’s like I am always, always there though I try very hard to pretend not to be there. It’s as if I have no other life other than hearing other people out. And though this doesn’t happen all the time, some people really do take my presence for granted. Really, they do.

But then, how about those who don’t take my presence for granted? It wouldn’t be fair on them if I stopped being there for them, right? When I was listening to every other person’s problems yesterday, the thing going on in my mind was that, “This is all I can give back for all that I’ve gained and been given in my life”.

What more could I ask for when I’ve been so blessed already? Surely, some people do all of a sudden regard me as a “friend” when they’re in trouble or in heartache, but that’s only because they know for sure that I will at the very least TRY to console them. I guess I’ve always been like that, you know. I am a people person, I guess. And I guess it wouldn’t hurt to be there, even if I’ve nothing substantial or comforting to say.

So, yeah, I’ll have to admit now that I am plain old Aunt Agony. ( Not old. Young, but aged a little bit ;P ). And I guess after giving it some thought, I don’t really, really mind… but when Aunt Agony is in pain, she hopes she can turn to someone too. After all, Aunt Agony is human as well isn’t she…?

And come to think of it, living to be there for people when they’re in need isn’t really a bad reason for living is it?



Comments

Popular Posts