October 09, 2014

all is well...

I feel like so much time has passed since my last post because life has been blowing hot and cold at the same time...

Thing is... only a week has passed since then but it has felt so draggy that I honestly thought I've been away for a month or so now. 

But be rest assured that although life's been blowing hot and cold at the same time... all has been well. 

So, what's been up since my last post? 


But for starters, let's just talk about what happened on Raya Haji, okay?

It was one of our best packed trips. I mean it although I'm in charge of packing because on all other trips, we (well, I) normally don't pack our things as well as I did that weekend. We had all clothes (and extras too) neatly folded and rolled in our luggage bag, organised by which is to be worn with what and on which day. This year's Raya Haji was to be our jubah theme, grey and brown in colour and it was sukahati theme for the second day. 

I was looking forward to a relaxing time since it was an extended weekend.  Plus, we were planning to spend time with our extended family too, which is always fun. And since I didn't get to do that with them during Raya Aidilfitri, that was something I was REALLY looking forward to.

Thing is... on Friday night, after Luqman woke up from his nap after school... he developed a fever. 

After our Northbound trip (more on that later!) and everything else that happened in between then and Raya Haji, that was kind of expected, I guess. So, we prepared for the worst but at the same time, we hoped (or rather knew) that he would bounce back in no time, because he always does!

Thing is... although active as ever, he was deep, deep down feeling very unwell.

He didn't want to eat. 

Didn't want to drink.

Didn't want to do anything apart from play. And nurse from me. 

And then, he developed  rashes. 


Which eczematous child doesn't have rash, right? 

But does an eczematous child develop rash all over his stomach, back, hands, legs and neck so suddenly?

Does an eczematous child develop fever along with the rash?

With all the dengue cases I hear about both from people known and unknown, you'd know by now how much of a nutcase I was just thinking about the possibilities, right?

So, we started googling for more information. It was either that or chicken pox...

"But he's so active."

"He doesn't seem to be in pain."

"And he's not vomitting."


But since he was still so upbeat especially during the day, it must be chicken pox and not that, right?

Gah, I tell you, the thoughts that went on in my head! 

Coupled with the non-sleep I was getting... I think you can all take a wild guess now as to how Raya turned out for us...

I spent the morning sleeping in because both Luqman and I couldn't sleep the night before; him because he was itching and me, because he was itching.

And instead of heading over to my Aunt's place in Serdang, we spent the afternoon looking for any clinics within the vicinity which might be opened, just so we could ease our fears a bit but no such luck.

There was the "Hospital" option but we already knew that at the mention of Luqman's insurance and the showing of his Gold Card... they would find every reason to admit him so that they could administer every single (expensive) "treatment" they could without much mercy and without even considering it's actual necessity.

So we scraped that idea and bought air kelapa and calamine lotion instead. 

Went back home and we all bunked in front of the TV, intermittently offering Luqman air kelapa (masking it with a little ribena for the colour) and he hated it! Hahaha. We probably managed to give him about half a cup in total throughout the weekend but it's okay because it turns out that...



We were in Bangi on Monday and finally found a panel clinic which was opened. Met with a slightly strict doctor, who I rather like, who had wonderful staff, who told me that his rashes were not typical of a dengue rash or chicken pox (I honestly thought they were) and immediately gave Luqman a prick test to clear the air and any doubts that I had in my head. 

Turns out to be a viral fever. And the rashes? It was just typical of some kids to develop rashes when they develop a fever and since Luqman is kind of fair skinned... it became more prominent.

 After the visit to the clinic, Luqman seemed to be in a happier mood and he even developed an appetite!!! And after all those days of not eating, I think he finally figured that the last thing he wanted to do was to starve himself. Plus the fresh air (though I wouldn't really say it's that fresh) did him good I guess and we all know that he hates to be cooped up in the house so perhaps his only real prescription was to get out of the house?


After all that drama, eh?

But after being home for 3 days now... I can really say with some certainty that yes, despite it all... all has been well. 

My 6.a.m. meeting, this morning.

Welcome back, boy!

(and hello, hello to you a good night's sleep! ;))

No comments: