no more free rides

Shocking. It’s surprising that the election and post-election fever is still on and very much alive. The average Malaysian normally remembers an occurrence for 3 days at most. So, I guess the election results have finally awakened Malaysians to the realities in living in a multi-racial country where the Majority are given special rights.

No, it’s not that I don’t love the Malays. How can I hate them? I live, breath, eat and go to school with them. But sometimes, there’s no wonder at all why people question the privileges we Malays are receiving. I mean, we don’t have to go further than the classrooms in UiTM. Some Malays are just too complacent. Some Malays are happily nestled in their comfort zone not having an iota of worry about what the future holds. It’s frustrating.

And how do I know? Well, I happen to be in one of the biggest institutions in the country, and I am in the only institution, where the students are all Malays, thus the Malay mentality. No doubt that there are some very good, hardworking Malays, like myself (and I assure you that I am justified in saying this) and my friends, but the quantity of Malays who are actually cut and built for the working life and competition out there is just not good enough (famous words of someone we all know).

It's at times like this that I have no reason to argue with those who say that Malays are not deserving of the privileges they are currently receiving. I know, I know. I am myself Malay. I am in a fully-Malay institution and without it; I probably wouldn’t be getting the best education right now. But the mentality sometimes is just too much to bear. Not that they are uber-conservative or that I’m ultra liberal. I am quite conservative in certain respects, at least more conservative that most people I know. But my workplace mentality, the quality of work I maintain and expect from people, you know, things of the like. It’s just frustrating. See, even my vocab fails me at this point due to my disappointment. How else can I say this?

I just don’t get it why people don’t get their own notes, why people don’t rebut to sit in front and why people like to simply cut and paste. It’s not that I’ve never squabbled before or that I’ve never messed up or never missed classes. But I do it only to the extent that is acceptable. And I don’t like it that politics is so inherent in this Honours Programme. I don’t know like it that people make their way through everything and anything by sweet talking and licking other else’s bums. It’s a bit disgusting actually the way things work around here.

So, what am I supposed to do to make changes? How am I to convince them that the only way we (or more like you complacent Malays) can improve and successfully compete with the rest of the world? What we have right now is good but it’s just not good enough.

In a way, I’m happy with the election results because it has awakened everyone from their lazy slumber. It’s a good thing that people now realise that good things DO NOT COME EASY. It’s great that finally we are all now in fear (I hope people will start realising the implications of being dependant on special rights) and I really hope that people will stop taking free rides and pick other peoples’ brains ALL THE TIME and make it their owns and do better than the rest of us who actually lead an honest life and do things the right way.

I guess this is just an extension from my frustration and irritation with someone regarding something. It’s good that things are off my chest right now. Let’s hope this irritation fades soon.

Comments

Popular Posts