Growing Up, Honey...

I’m 22 years old this year and as much as I hate to admit it, I am getting older. I hate the entire package which comes along with being older; the eye bags, the crow’s feet around the eyes, the responsibilities. But like I said, I hate to admit but I am getting older. Not old, just older.

I know being older does not necessarily mean its all work, no play and all responsibilities and no fun at all. After all, even an old girl deserves a break sometimes, right? But then again, the whole thing about growing up is just about all that; a whole load of responsibilities and a whole load of shite.

Probably, I don’t yet have that many responsibilities. I’m not married, I haven’t started a family and I don’t have taxes to pay, but only not yet and I’m bound to some time in my life, right? So, I think we should all start thinking about the future now instead of waiting for it to land at our doorsteps and then only figuring out what to do.

I mean, let’s face it. It’s been years since OU, MidValley and The Curve opened and it’s also been years since I first went roaming aimlessly around the malls looking for everything and nothing in it. The excitement is kind of gone, really, and I don’t really see that much fun in any of them anymore. Please, I’m not even excited about fast food anymore. Not as much as I used to be anyways.

My idea of a good outing is now a plate of meatballs with a good friend while chatting over life, future and pirated CDs and a drive to nowhere with Mr. Abdul while we discuss on how to become better people. Believe it or not, I even enjoy babysitting and visiting places of interest in Malaysia. Boring, huh? Not really if you’re at the same brainwave and have entered into that particular realm or phase in life.

I’ve had loads of fun being an adolescent and also a young adult. Probably, I haven’t seen enough to be able to say, “been there, done that” yet, but I’ve come close to it. And it might just suffice at this point in time. Probably I will continue when the opportunity comes, but enough or not is not really the point in question.

I’m just past that period where I checked out guys in malls because to begin with, I never really was that kind of girl who did that kind of thing. I’ve gone past that period where I went to malls to hang out because I’ve nothing better to do. I’ve just gone past that period, really and I’m not telling you that this is all normal because it’s kind of weird, really, feeling all this.

The mall is now a place where I look for food, birthday presents, a place where I accompany my mom and her fetishes over handbags and of course, a place where I babysit my sister when she’s out with her friends.

With all this growing up, my preferences have just shifted. I can’t help it that it’s no longer what it used to be, but malls don’t give me the same kind of high it used to.

I haven’t gone haywire and grown up entirely. I still go gugu gaga over Wentworth Miller and Jude Law. I still throw tantrums when I feel like my sister is getting preferential treatment. I sulk and whine when my mom goes out and doesn’t bring me along. I still watch Disney Channel. I still love plush toys. I have cravings like waffles and meatballs and I have some crazy impulses which some of them you don’t really need to know.

After all, the child in me is still very much alive.

But I make firmer decisions now. I am sure of what I like and what I don’t like. I have a more stable relationship and I handle it better. I advise my mom on her parenting and give her ideas on her work. I have a little space of my own, which I pay for myself (of course with a little help of allowance given by Dad), but I manage my own finances and never ask for more than that which is given. I’ve been given a car and I fill the tank myself. I work to get extra cash and I’ve also learnt to prioritise.

I don’t know if I’m cut and built for the workplace yet, but I’ll have to be by next year. I’m graduating once end of this year, insya Allah and again end of next year with my Honours and I’m proud that I have grown up well. As much as growing up scares me and is changing my life, really, I am glad that I have grown to become this person that I now am.

I am not really a girl anymore, I must say, though I am not much of a woman yet either. I’m just at that transitional stage where only people whom have been there will ever understand. In fact, even I don't quite get it yet...

Comments

Popular Posts