are you worried?

Does the future worry you?

Because it worries me, yes, it does really worry me. I just came back from late lunch with my siblings and my cousin. I spent almost 10 bucks on a small meal, which I didn’t really finish, because I was full. Every single day, I spend 15 bucks, sometimes more, on my food. Per month, I spend approximately 300 bucks minimum on food alone. I concentrate on food a lot because I love to eat, yes, I really do love to eat. And the next favourite thing on my list is of course, phone credit which I have lost track of how much I use per month.

Nowadays, things cost too much. The value of the Ringgit in my opinion has dropped to the point that anything which cost 1 buck, no matter how small or skimpy or not worth it and little, is considered cheap anyways. The depreciation of the value of the Ringgit; to me is the scariest phenomenon at this point in time.

Probably I should be thinking about the bigger picture, the world market, investment, trade and stuff like that, but truthfully, I’m no good at those things. I can’t even properly figure out Malaysian company law yet. So, I’m just thinking of how it’s affecting me directly; I start small scale.

But anyhow, coming back to what I said about the future, don’t you think it’s worrying, the fact that we are fighting so hard (most of us are, anyways) to save but at the same time wanting nice things? I can’t figure out why and how our parents were able to save once upon a time ago, and at the same time afford having things they really wanted, when right now, we even have to think really hard about buying something we really need.

Perhaps I’m not really in the position to complain; after all, I do come from a family with middle-class income, and that my suffering is nothing more than those who eat snails and carry and sell woodsticks for a livelihood, like the ones we see in Bersamamu. But I’m thinking; if I have to suffer just thinking about the future, what kind of suffering are they going through? Is it possible that they’re just taking one day at a time, hoping for things to eventually get better; hoping that they could be rescued from the slumps they live in..? Perhaps, but I guess, I’ll never really find out. God Forbid, I hope I never will have to find out for myself.

The point is, I really wish I could do something about things becoming more expensive and Malaysian Ringgit becoming less valuable, but I can’t, which sux big time. I think I’ve actually figured out why I don’t really like going to malls nowadays, (besides the fact that I feel like grabbing everything that I like in the mall without having to pay, *how I wish*) is because every time I go grocery shopping or just shopping in general, I’ll keep on thinking of how the hell I’m supposed to bring up children into this cruel, cruel world.

Bringing children into this world is no big deal, honestly, and I think we’re all old enough to how the magical attraction between men and women may result in children being born, but to bring them up? Isn’t it scary that we might not be able to feed them with formula milk, buy them school books and uniform, and eventually give them their own pocket money for them to taste McD? I find it exhaustingly tough to save up so that I can pay my own fees at the end of the semester, and to buy books recommended by my lecturers. What if I decide to have children? How do I pay for them? How do I feed their little tummies when I can’t do so decently enough to myself?

Worried now? Or are you not? Be worried, unless you’re filthy rich. And even if you’re filthy rich, that money might not last, and eventually, you’ll have to work your way up, which is also scary. But this shall be discussed later, in another entry. I have a massive headache just thinking about this worrying thing.

Comments

Popular Posts