the thing i miss

... about this month no longer being the month of Ramadan, is this; early mornings like this.

I don't know how I did it but I woke up every single day at 4.45 a.m. (with the exception of a couple of "extra tired" days) to prepare sahur and from then on my day would begin. I normally survived on Neslo and Hup Seng cream crackers alone throughout the day and by Allah's will I didn't feel famished or overly tired. Sometimes, I would take a nap (or doze off) during office hours, but seeing how much we worked throughout lunch, that was hardly the case. 

Then, I would go back home and start preparing food for buka puasa (break fast). Come to think of it, it was extremely tiring to go on and on and on non-stop from 4.45 a.m. 'til at least 10 p.m. every day, but believe you me, there was something extremely therapeutic about cooking (even the simplest dishes, as was the case every day actually) and seeing your loved one gobble up the grub you prepared with so much gusto and getting the endless thanks at the end of it all. 

I truly enjoyed Ramadan this year.

I feel like we've grown so much from the kiddish couple we once were when we got married 2 years ago, where we (well more like I) wasn't really organised, simply didn't know how to handle having to prepare 2 meals and really didn't have the kudrat (will) to just do it. This year, I enjoyed cooking and thinking of menus so much that I was really dumbstruck as to what I should buy (or what I really wanted) when we decided to go to the pasar malam to get our food. 

Like seriously, asyik teringat the food I was supposed to be cooking and how yummy it would be to eat nasi panas dengan ayam goreng kunyit and bawang (ended up cooking that for sahur sebab teringat-ingat and walaupun tak makan tapi puas hati bila husband makan bertambah). 

I know macam mak-mak sangat kan selepas jadi mak orang ni, but seriously. After the baby came, it's like I enjoyed being home bound (though I won't lie - I do occasionally I crave a mall outing!), but still. Bila orang ajak berbuka outside, the only way I know I would enjoy it is if it were at my place or somebody else's home. I just enjoy being home. I think it's safe to say hello to the New Boring Old Hanisa, ey?

But never mind that... as I believe that that's a healthy sign of maturity. 

And here's to hoping that next Ramadan would be better.

( I know it's already 6th day of Syawal and stories of Ramadan are getting old but it's okay ;) )

Comments

Popular Posts