what works

There are things that I am generally terrible at and one of it is keeping in touch. I wasn’t always like this, no. But through (bad) experience, I learned that sometimes, we just need to let go; of people, of memories, of reminiscence and of wanting some kind of reciprocity.

Especially when you’re at the losing end of the bargain.

This attitude about people and friendship generally works for me and my (close) friends. Sometimes, I know people question how we claim to be so close, when we meet like 3 times a year, 4 times tops. But what people don’t know is that is the very reason why it works. It’s not so much about the amount of time we spend together, but it’s the quality of those sessions. Totally cliché, I know. Probably even hard to believe. But trust me. It really works.

But of late, I’ve been thinking long and hard about this attitude of mine; of this attitude of ours. I find myself thinking of wanting to belong, when in actuality, I already do. I keep thinking I’m not doing enough and that I could do more. Or that I am using work and lack of free time as a sorry excuse for not being able to meet up with my friends or query about their well-being.

With all the sorry excuses we forgive each other for, could it be that we’ve started to take each other for granted? Just because we know for a fact that we will be there for each other when we need each other?

Just because something works, does it mean that something’s good?

Would we all come to a point in our lives when we would lose each other from our willful omission?

God forbid. I hope that day never comes.

 

Comments

Popular Posts