it's a small world after all.

If there is one thing that I can say with conviction, it would be that I had an awesome, awesome upbringing. Really. Despite hating the house rules once upon a time ago and wondering why everything had to be the way they are, I really am glad that I turned out the way I did because of those “so-called ridiculous” rules.

I think we were always taught to be kind. To not be prejudiced. To be friends with everyone. But of course, with certain limits. Since we all grew up in boarding schools, we also learnt that if someone “stepped on your foot” on purpose, you’re allowed to “step back” on theirs. Just so they know who they are messing with. But if there is anything “cruel” we were ever taught, that was just about it. In my eyes, I like to see it as “survival of the fetus” instead.

And so, we all grew up being friends with most people. I think I can also say with conviction that I have the kindest siblings anyone can ever ask for. And some of the most unprejudiced ones too. Always, always think of where people are coming from. No right or wrong, just different.

Which is why I am sometimes baffled at how snobbish and prejudiced and picky some people can get sometimes. Really. As if smiling will flex their face muscles until they’re ruined. Or saying “Hi” first at a random place will burst their ego or reputation. You know, things like that.

I’ve learnt more often than I care to remember that life is a cycle. When I say it is, I know it is. It’s not just a saying. And I also know that when people tell you to be nice to one another, it’s because you don’t know where you’ll be in say... 5 years time from now. It really doesn’t take that long. And you don’t know when you might need another person’s favour and so, you better not be mean because that person could be the person whose life you made miserable.

To prove my point, I have seniors in school who are now my juniors in Service. Thank God I don’t hold grudges. I grew up with them and there are so many stories I could tell if I wanted, but I won’t.

You really wouldn’t know what’s going to happen. So, say “Hi”. If that’s so difficult to do, just smile. It really is that simple. And it really is a small world after all.

Shy to comment? Well, never mind! Your reactions mean the world to me! Make me smile today :)

Comments

Unknown said…
very well written. love to read your posts. keep on writing babe.
Moose said…
love this post. yes, it doesn't really take that much effort to flex your mouth muscle & smile but my colleague in my current new office apparently doesn't agree.

i had been constantly smiling and doing simple gestures like greeting good morning etc. but so far, attempts to be friendly failed.

i wonder what is going inside the mind of these people.
yayahafiza said…
love this post!!!

what goes around comes around.... So, be good to everyone coz we never know what will happened next isn't it?? and how bad you feel about the others, just keep it to yourself - never told anyone coz you might get some 'paparazi' to tell the exaggerated to them (with all those flavor being added)
Haneesa said…
nurin: thnks for dropping by dear :)

moose: yes, i totally get what you mean. there are some people who really seem to think that smiling and tegur orang is such a chore. maybe kita yang over friendly, tapi then again, kalau dah kenal pun boleh buat taktau? pelik.

aera: i think mesti ramai je budak college ada at where you are working kan? mmg kena jaga tutur kata, perangai sesama manusia sentiasa. because, like you said, what goes around DOES come around. lambat atau cepat saja.

Popular Posts